Skip over generic navigation
Skip over primary navigation
Skip over visual
A young company with a long tradition
Skip over functional column
The company traces its origins back to several preceding companies. One part is a spin-off from the precious metals refinery at the Frankfurt am Main mint: Aktiengesellschaft Deutsche Gold- und Silber-Scheideanstalt vormals Roessler, more commonly known as Degussa. Following its establishment in 1873, this company quickly developed into a large international corporation and over the years chemicals became more important than metallurgy.
After acquiring Röhm GmbH in 1980s and later ChemischeFabrik Stockhausen GmbH in 1990s, Hüls AG merged with Degussa AG to become Degussa-Hüls AG. Goldschmidt AG was integrated into the SKW Trostberg Group as the Performance Chemicals Division.
Degussa-Hüls AG and SKW Trostberg AG merge to form the new Degussa AG based in Düsseldorf. The “new” Degussa AG, which brought together the competencies of its predecessor companies, subsequently started to shift its activities to specialty chemicals.
Between 2003 and 2006 the Essen-based RAG Group acquired Degussa AG, which became the Chemicals Business Area of Evonik Industries AG (formerly RAG Beteiligungs-AG).
The RAG Group was split into two: RAG Aktiengesellschaft, Herne (Germany), which was responsible for the hard coal mining and processing operations, and Evonik Industries AG, Essen (Germany), an industrial corporation with a strong focus on specialty chemicals. The sole shareholder of both companies was RAG-Stiftung. The new structure took account of the specific business operations and prospects of the two companies. Today, Evonik is one of the world's leading specialty chemicals companies.
Learn more about the history of the creative industrial group and its predecessors.