Evonik at ChinaCoat 2012: - Resource efficient solutions in the spotlight
- Evonik is a competent solution provider to producers of paints, coatings, inks, and adhesive industry and offers resource efficient, state of the art solutions for the market
- Booth number: 9.2A 25-36, Guangzhou International Convention and Exhibition Centre, November 28-30, 2012
Evonik Industries, one of the world leaders in specialty chemicals will showcase itself at ChinaCoat 2012 (Hall 9.2A, Booth25-26) as a competent solution provider to producers of paints, coatings, inks and adhesives. “Evonik is committed to work closely and intensively with our customers, in order to solve their specific problems for today and tomorrow quickly and effectively,” said Dr. Hong Zhong, Senior Vice President of Business Unit Coatings & Additives Asia. Over the next few years Evonik wants to grow along with its Chinese customers in the paints, coatings, inks and adhesives market. In 2011, Evonik generated sales of about €1 billion in the coatings, paints and printing markets.
According to the analysis of China National Coatings Industry Association, the growth rate of China’s coatings market is expected to be around 10% in the coming years. In addition, the coatings industry in China will face a number of restructurings, driven by environmental-friendly and resource- efficient products and technologies. This approach fits perfect with the global megatrend- Resource Efficiency. Since supplies of fossil fuels are limited, Evonik sees the trend to renewable energy sources, energy-efficient and environment-friendly products and application technologies as a key factor in its business development.
Evonik offers resource efficient solutions for the coatings markets
With aims to secure energy supply yet to reduce environmental impact and global warming, Evonik’s leading products for the coatings market can be categorized into three main areas, such as reduction of energy consumption, alternative resources and climate change prevention. To mention a couple of examples:
- The waterborne products, high solid products and UV cured products, as well as solvent base products under the product brand TEGO are all developed based on the concept of resource efficiency. That means to make the same output with fewer raw materials, so as to reduce the carbon emissions.
- Environmentally friendly silanes used in pre-treatment formulations for corrosion protection: water-borne sol-gel formulations based on organofunctional silanes offer new perspectives for the treatment of metal substrates.
- VP ITO IR5 for heat Management coatings applied in windows of automobiles and buildings: thanks to the combination of optical transparency and IR absorption, VP ITO IR5 offers the opportunity to produce highly transparent, colorless coatings or films with very good protection against heat radiation from the sun. Therefore, the interior temperature will be reduced, so as to save energy and reduce carbon emissions.
- Pre-coated metal polyester: DYNAPOL® polyester resins provide highly efficient, energy saving, environmental friendly, safe products and solutions for such industries as packaging and coil coating. The DYNAPOL product range supports the reduction of energy consumption by enabling new curing technologies, like NIR- and UV curing, enhances the life cycles of finished goods by high durable, corrosion- and UV resistant coatings, and significantly impacts climate change prevention by high solid coating formulations. A carbon footprint assessment gives an impressive scientific proof.
- 100% solids UV curing system from Evonik is regarded as very efficient and eco-friendly due to high process speed (less energy used compared to solvent borne systems) and no VOC are released. The final products are used for various coatings applications, e.g. in the construction and electronic field.
- Waterbased hydrophobic dispersion which enables new ways to formulate eco-friendly coatings by improving viscosity behavior and anti-setting properties combined with corrosion resistance of coatings.
Investment projects move on
To capitalize the rapidly growing chemical market in Asia, Evonik has established a long-term comprehensive Asia growth program to ensure the right strategy and capabilities are in place. Greater China region, especially the business growth in the coatings market, is of significant importance to the Asia growth strategy. In June, Evonik Industries held the ground-breaking ceremony for the new production plants for the manufacture of isophorone and isophorone diamine in the Shanghai Chemical Industry Park (SCIP). The Group is investing more than €100 million in the plants, which are scheduled to come on stream in the first quarter of 2014, Isophorone is used, among other things, in paints and printing inks, while its derivative isophorone diamine is a curing agent for composites for applications such as rotor blades for wind turbines.
At the same time Evonik is stepping up its R&D presence in Asia to help strengthen the competitiveness of our customers through research and applications technology geared specifically to local needs. Last year, Evonik set up TEGO Innovation Center respectively in Shanghai and Singapore, focusing on the development of customized coating additive products for China and Asia market. Over the past year, the TEGO innovation Center has made substantial achievements, with only 2 colleagues at the very beginning up to 20 colleagues now. The TEGO Innovation Center in Asia adopts the same operation model as that of Germany, but catering for the needs of manufacturers in the paints and coatings industry in Asia. Research is geared to meet regional demands and concentrates on developing cutting-edge, environmentally-friendly coating systems to accommodate the megatrend of resource efficiency.
Furthermore, Evonik is continuously strengthening its application lab facilities for the coatings and adhesives industry to shape the product performance for the specific regional needs. Last but not least, the new technical service center of Evonik’s Crosslinker Business Line was inaugurated in this September in Shanghai, with aims to develop new applications for isophorone chemistry and offer application technology support and solutions for Chinese customers.
For more information of Evonik’s Coating Innovations, please visit
Evonik, the creative industrial group from Germany, is one of the world leaders in specialty chemicals. Its activities focus on the key megatrends health, nutrition, resource efficiency and globalization. Profitable growth and a sustained increase in the value of the company form the heart of Evonik’s corporate strategy. Evonik benefits specifically from its innovative prowess and integrated technology platforms. Evonik is active in over 100 countries around the world. In fiscal 2011 more than 33,000 employees generated sales of around €14.5 billion and an operating profit (adjusted EBITDA) of about €2.8 billion.
Evonik Industries has been producing specialty chemical products in the Greater China region (Mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan) since the late1970’s; with wide-ranging trading relations already in place prior to this in the region. Evonik regards Greater China as one of the driving forces of the global economy and we consequently endeavour to grow our business in the region. The company now has around 3,500 employees in the Greater China region, the regional sales reached over 1.2 billion in 2011.
In so far as forecasts or expectations are expressed in this press release or where our statements concern the future, these forecasts, expectations or statements may involve known or unknown risks and uncertainties. Actual results or developments may vary, depending on changes in the operating environment. Neither Evonik Industries AG nor its group companies assume an obligation to update the forecasts, expectations or statements contained in this release.